Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gear Review: Belleville 310 Boot

I wanted to talk about a pair of boots. I'm not a professional gear critic, and haven't tried every boot on God's Earth. However, between Civil Air Patrol, my time at the Merchant Marine Academy, my volunteer EMS work, and wilderness SAR, I've worn more than a few pairs of boots. The ones I want to bring to your attention today are some of the best I've had the opportunity to use. Specifically, the Beleville 310 Army-style desert boots.







Here's the specs and blurb from Beleville's website:

"A tactical boot in design, the 310 uses a breakthrough polyurethane MeraMax® outsole specifically designed for the high performance demands of military boots.  This tough and durable outsole not only reduces the weight of the boots, but is also long-wearing, slip resistant, flexible, shock absorbing, energy returning, heat and flame resistant, oil /solvent resistant, and hydrolytically stable."

BOOT FEATURES:

  • Full grain cowhide leather & nylon fabric upper
  • MeraMax®  polyurethane midsole & outsole
  • Vents for increased breathability and drainage to keep boots cool and dry
  • Polyurethane removable insole
  • 8” height
  • Made in USA & Berry Compliant

That's it. Not very many bells and whistles, just a good, tough combat boot. 

So, things I like about this boot: number one is longevity. This is the reason I felt the urge to write about this boot. I bought these boots in spring of 2010 while I was still at the academy, and used them for airsoft games and Army Field Training Exercises with the NY ARNG. After I resigned from the Academy, they became my everyday wear boots, and I started using them for mountain SAR. I've since switched to Gore-Tex lined full-leather boots for SAR, but these are still my everyday boots. They're on my feet now as I write this, three years and several months after I purchased them.


Treads are worn, but still provide reasonable grip

After three years of heavy daily use, they're still in excellent shape. The treads are somewhat worn down, but I'm frankly surprised they're not gone entirely, as much as I've worn these.  The grain-out leather is stained, but not worn down or otherwise damaged. I'll be the first to tell you I've abused these boots. I've never really cleaned them or done any maintenance other than replacing laces, and they're still going strong. Seams, including the joining of the sole and upper, show no signs of parting.


Leather is stained and scuffed, but still structurally sound

Other things I like: they're relatively lightweight (about 1 3/4 lb per boot, in a size 9). They're VERY comfortable now, and if memory serves, it only took a few days to get them that way. Finally, they're made in the US, which is always something I appreciate. 

Now for things I don't like, which are really just minor little quibbles. First is specific to these boots: the lacing system could be better. Don't get me wrong, it works. None of the plastic eyelets have broken off. The thing is, you can't yank on the ends of the laces and expect everything to cinch down like you can with a pair of old-style jungle boots. That's literally the only thing I think could be improved on this design.

The other things I want to mention aren't gripes, as such. Just sort of "buyer bewares" about buying this type of boot. I bought these in particular because I thought at the time I'd be joining the Army. That meant an 8" boot, with no zippers or other doodads. So, if you're a civilian or cop just looking for a pair of boots, I would say definitely buy a pair with side zippers, they just make life easier. My black Bates steel-toes with side zippers got me around the world on a cargo ship, and the zips never failed, so if you buy from a quality company, I don't see zips being a structural problem. Not really certain why the Army put them on the no-no list. However, some of Belleville's boots are available with side zippers.

Other potential issues to be aware of: most of the boot upper is a canvas-like fabric. There's no effective way to waterproof it, and it provides less ankle support than an all-leather boot. On the other hand, it's much more breathable than leather.  

Finally, a word about 8" boots. I find shorter, stiffer boots to support my ankles much better when hiking. YMMV, but I'd say you owe it to yourself to try a pair of ankle-height hiking boots and make an informed decision before you spend a lot of money on boots.

In closing, if you're in the market for a military-style boot, definitely give Belleville a serious look. I've been very pleased with mine, and they have boots available for all US service uniforms, in a variety of feature sets. I'm sure law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel could also find a boot to suit their needs from Belleville.

 These particular boots are also available with a steel toe. All Belleville boots are made in the US. Belleville also runs a line called Tactical Research, which are slightly less expensive and made overseas. I can't speak to the durability of TR boots, since I've not owned a pair. 

All in all, highly recommended. Three years, very little maintenance, just now coming due for re-soling? I like it.

Disclaimer: I have no professional relationship with Belleville, Tactical Research, or any affiliated company. These boots were purchased with my personal funds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment